Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Evolution of Audrey's Bangs

This post is dedicated to my best friend Tiff. We went through the drama and heartache of the bad hair phases together. She has stuck with me through all of my bad hair days and bad hair years. She and I have done extensive studies on the evolution of my bangs and today I would like to share just a few of those stages with you. In doing so, I realize I am exposing myself to ridicule, but for informational and, most importantly, entertainment purposes I will take one for the team and share these pictures with you.
When we are younger we can get away with the disheveled look. Mom would just throw some curlers in my hair and let it go however it wanted. Really, at this age, who cares!













But then comes the awkward years. For me, the "awkward years" lasted the majority of my life. Rough times mostly do to my horrible bangs. There comes a time in your life where you feel the need to be stylish and I guess at one point these next bangs were stylish...or maybe not. Try to look past my buck teeth and huge glasses and focus on my bangs. As if you could miss them! They're huge! Tiff and I called these my "Ker-splat Bangs" because it looks like somebody just took a handful of hair and through it at my forehead and it just went everywhere. I think these bangs put the Utah Claw to shame.

Now I don't really remember how I finally toned down the huge bangs, but these next ones really aren't much better. Again, try to look past the teeth and the glasses and the "I think I just pee'd my pants" look on my face and focus on the bangs. In sixth grade Tiff and I decided we both wanted to get perms. Of course! Who doesn't want matching perms?! I already have some natural curl in my hair so perming it just makes the curls tighter, thus creating what we like to call "Weenie Bangs." This bang stage is a favorite among my family and friends.
In Junior High my awkward phase hit an all-time high or should I say low?! Does anyone else think that Junior High is the most miserable time in a person's life and should be done away with completely? Or perhaps it isn't as miserable for someone who doesn't have bangs, but for us poor unfortunate bang people it sucks! In eighth grade I just didn't know what to do with them anymore. I think they looked different everyday and I was really wanting to phase them out so somedays I would have less bangs than others. We called these bangs "Rat's nest Bangs" because who knows what the heck is living in there. Disgusting!
In eighth grade Tiff and I were determined to get rid of our bangs together, but we knew we couldn't just do it in the middle of the school year. That would just be weird! So on the last day of school the first thing we both did was go home, break out the bobby pins and pull those bangs to the side. We spent all summer growing them out and I started ninth grade looking like this. Isn't my forehead refreshing?
I was half way there. In high school I finally wised up and got rid of the glasses too. Look, I have a face!
And so after all the drama and suffering caused by years of bangs and the courage and determination to get rid of them, this is Tiff and me today.
If anyone sees me start to rat anything stop me immediately before it's too late!

6 comments:

  1. I had a good laugh remembering Audrey in the good old days. When we got to the bottom and saw the picture with you and Tiff Halle got really excited and kept saying "That's Audj!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but kersplat has nothing on my 8th grade Utah claw bangs. Thems were BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like you to prove your Big Bang Theory. (I'm funny)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget the hectic mornings of you freakin out because your bangs just didn't look right. My personal favorite bangs would be the rats nest bangs. They look like they would take the most time to do. You have to make sure to get all the ratting even so there are no holes to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I indeed could not look past the buck teeth and huge glasses, to go along with such an awkward smile (red shirt, fourth pic) I certainly could not avoid eye contact with that huge heap of hair on your head. Never seen anything like it. Overall, very nice post. Informative, entertaining, and most importantly humiliating for the writer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so brave to go back to the bangs! I think I can top you though, when I thought I had a good bang day (which looking back I'm amazed I thought that) I would not wash them for days. I would take a bath and wash everything but the bangs. Yikes, that left some nasty hairspray flakes!

    ReplyDelete